This information below can be found on the Landlord & Tenant Board website of the Ontario government.
When to Apply to the Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB)
- Who is covered by the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA)?
- I have a disagreement with my roommate. Can I apply to the LTB?
- I live in a care home. Does the RTA apply?
- I rent a site in a mobile home park. Does the RTA apply?
- I live in a non-profit housing co-operative. Does the RTA apply?
- Which application should I file?
- Can a landlord ask a person applying for a rental unit to provide information about their income, credit references and rental history?
- Do landlords and tenants have to have a written lease or tenancy agreement?
- Where can I get a copy of the standard lease form?
- What information does a landlord have to give to a new tenant?
- Can a landlord charge a person a deposit or a fee for allowing them to rent a unit?
- Am I required by law to have tenant insurance?
- Who is responsible for maintaining the unit?
- Can I withhold rent because my landlord isn’t properly maintaining my building or unit?
- What should I do if repairs are needed to my building or unit?
- Can I pay my rent to the LTB if my landlord isn't properly maintaining my building or unit?
- When does a landlord have to turn the heat on? What temperature does my landlord have to keep my apartment at?
- What can I do if my landlord does not turn on the heat?
- My landlord applied to evict me for not paying my rent, but I have maintenance issues I want to raise. What can I do?
- What can I do if I have a problem with pests such as rats, mice, cockroaches or bedbugs?
- What can I do if I have a problem with mould in my unit?
- What if my landlord doesn't fix a pest or mould problem?
- I need to treat a mould or pest problem in my tenant's unit but my tenant isn't cooperating. What can I do?
- Whose responsibility is it to maintain smoke and carbon monoxide alarms?
- Who is responsible for snow removal?
- Who is responsible for garbage removal?
- Can a landlord refuse to rent to a person who has a pet?
- Can a landlord evict a tenant for having a pet?
- Second-hand smoke (cannabis or tobacco) from a neighbour is bothering me. What can I do?
- Can the landlord enter a tenant’s unit?
- Can I refuse to let the landlord in if the landlord wants to enter my unit?
- What if my landlord enters my unit illegally?
- Can a tenant change the locks?
- Can the landlord change the locks?
- How is the rent decided?
- How often can a landlord increase the rent?
- How much can a landlord legally increase the rent this year?
- I'm a landlord and I haven't increased the rent in my unit for 5 years. Can I increase it by more than the guideline this year?
- When can a landlord apply for a rent increase above the guideline?
- Does a landlord have to notify a tenant of a rent increase?
- Does a landlord have to give rent receipts?
- What information has to be in a receipt?
- When is the rent considered late?
- If a tenant is late with their rent, what can the landlord do?
- I received a notice from the city telling me that my rent is being reduced. What does this mean?
Rent Deposits and Other Charges
- Can a landlord collect a rent deposit?
- Can a landlord ask a tenant to pay money to update their rent deposit?
- Does a landlord have to pay interest on a rent deposit?
- Can a landlord ask for a deposit for keys?
- Can the landlord charge for additional or replacement keys?
- If the landlord changes the locks, can the landlord charge the tenant for the new keys?
- Can the landlord charge the tenant a damage deposit?
- Can a landlord charge a fee if a tenant’s rent cheque is returned NSF?
- How much notice does a tenant have to give if they want to move out?
- Can a tenant break a lease?
- What is the difference between assigning and subletting a unit?
- How can a tenant sublet their unit?
- What happens if a tenant assigns or sublets their unit without the landlord’s consent?
- What can I do if my landlord gives me a Notice of Termination?
- What is the process for evicting a tenant?
- Can a tenant be evicted without a hearing?
- Can a tenant be evicted in the winter?
- Can a landlord evict a tenant in the middle of their lease?
- Can a tenant be evicted for having a roommate?
- Can a tenant be evicted for something that their roommate or a guest they allow into the rental unit does?
- Can a tenant be evicted if the landlord wants to use the unit themselves?
- Can a tenant be evicted if the landlord sells the house or building and the person who bought it wants to move in?
- If the tenant didn't give notice, but the landlord believes the tenant has left the rental unit, can the landlord change the locks and re-rent the unit?
- What can a landlord do with property that is left in the unit after the tenant has moved out or has been evicted?
Tenants and Landlords
- What happens when a lease ends? Does it renew automatically?
- What is the role of the Sheriff's Office in evictions?
Application and Hearing Process
- Before You File
- Choosing an Application
- Filing an Application
- Mediation and the Hearing
- The Order
- Challenging or Correcting an Order
LTB brochures provide information about:
- Rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants
- Processes at the LTB
You can read or print them here or pick up a copy at LTB offices and some ServiceOntario Centres.
If you need a brochure in print or alternate formats like large print or braille, contact the LTB.