The London West Youth Cabinet is a volunteer-based civic engagement initiative that lets young people in London West make their voices heard on the issues that matter to them.
The Youth Cabinet will work in collaboration with their Member of Provincial Parliament and local partners to make an impact in our community. Benefits of participation include:
- Learning and engagement on issues important to youth, as identified by youth
- Connections and collaboration with community leaders
- Development of advocacy skills
- Opportunities to start youth projects
- Peer networking and mentorship
- Resumé building experiences
- High school community service hours
Members of the Youth Cabinet will serve for one term, beginning in October 2019 and ending in June 2020. The full Youth Cabinet will meet five times (every two months), to discuss provincial policy issues of interest.
In addition to meetings of the full Youth Cabinet, members will meet monthly in three separate committees:
- Elementary Student Committee
- Secondary Student Committee
- 18-25 Youth Committee
Each committee will elect a chair, and set its own objectives for the year, with a focus on making a positive impact in the London West community.
LTC bus tickets will be provided on request for any Youth Cabinet members who require assistance getting to and from meetings.
Youth Cabinet members should expect to spend a minimum of 3-5 hours per month on Cabinet business, including meetings. Each member should be able to attend the following meetings of the full Cabinet:
- Thursday, October 24
- Tuesday, December 17 (date to be confirmed)
- Thursday, February 13
- Tuesday, April 14 (date to be confirmed)
- Tuesday, June 16
Members should also plan to participate in monthly committee meetings from November to June, with dates/times determined by each committee. This will require an additional 2-4 hours per month to work on committee projects and prepare for meetings.
How to Apply
Applications are open to students in Grades 7-12, and youth aged 18-25, who live in London West. There is no cost to participate.
Interested young people can apply online or download the appropriate PDF form to fill out and submit.
- Online application
- PDF Application for elementary students
- PDF Application for secondary students
- PDF Application for youth aged 18-25
If you require any kind of accommodation to apply, please contact my community office at 519-657-3120 or email@example.com.
Apply today! The deadline for applications is October 10, 2019.