On June 6, 2021, three generations of a Muslim family were killed in an Islamophobic attack in London.
Islamophobia, white supremacy and hate crimes are on the rise, and words are not enough. No one should be scared to go for a walk while wearing a hijab, or fear worshipping at their masjid. We must take urgent action to eradicate Islamophobia, white supremacist groups and hate crimes.
London MPPs and the National Council of Canadian Muslims (NCCM) have collaborated on new legislation to fight back against Islamophobia and hate. Add your name to call for urgent action to tear down Islamophobia, white supremacist groups and organized hate.
TO THE LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY OF ONTARIO:
WHEREAS white supremacy and hate crimes are on the rise, and we must take urgent action to combat Islamophobia and organized hate; and
WHEREAS Ontario should be a province in which families can live without fear, regardless of the religion they practice, their clothes, or the colour of their skin; and
WHEREAS the National Council of Canadian Muslims (NCCM) has made recommendations for key and common sense changes in the way that we challenge Islamophobia in Ontario;
THEREFORE, we the undersigned petition the Legislative Assembly of Ontario to pass the Our London Family Act, which will address NCCM’s provincial calls to action including
- a provincial review of hate crimes and hate-motivated incidents in Ontario;
- new tools and strategies for Ontario schools to combat all forms of racism;;
- Safe Zones around religious institutions;
- empowering the Speaker to ban protests at Queen’s Park that incite hate
- dismantling white supremacist groups by preventing them from registering as societies, and prevent acts of intimidation; and
- establishing an Ontario Anti-Racism Advisory and Advocacy Council, to make sure racialized communities have a say on government policies that impact their lives.